Michigan Salvage Title

In the state of Michigan, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in Michigan. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a MI Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many SOS related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to assistance in preparing official forms, the value added services and products you will receive include a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs; 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the SOS in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local SOS.

3: Via a SOS office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local SOS office. Varying SOS offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the SOS closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your SOS allows you to make a personal appointment.

Michigan Salvage Titles

In the state of Michigan a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing or rebuilding the vehicle costs between 75 percent and 91 percent of its pre-damaged cash value as determined by your insurance company. Once claimed as a total loss, your salvaged vehicle will be assigned a MI Salvaged Title. Your salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

To learn more about Michigan Salvage Titles, read below:

Applying for a Michigan Salvage Certificate of Title

In the state of Michigan, you as the owner of a salvaged vehicle can apply for an Original Michigan Salvage Title at your local Secretary of State (SOS) branch. There you'll need to give proof of ownership, lien release, and provide your inspection documentation. Once you've met these requirements, you can file the form and pay the appropriate titling fees.

From a Michigan Salvage Title to Rebuilt Title

Once your salvaged vehicle in Michigan is rebuilt and/or repaired to a roadworthy level, it can be titled and registered for road use again. You will need to fill out an Application for Salvage Vehicle Inspection, pay a fee of up to $100 and present the form to the certified salvage inspector.

To find your nearest state approved inspection site and/or inspector, please call 1-888-767-6424. After the inspection, you'll need to go to your local Michigan SOS branch and bring with you the following:

  • Salvage Title
  • Application for Salvage Vehicle Inspection
  • Original Salvage Vehicle Recertification Form

After completing these steps, a new title will be issued as Rebuilt Salvage.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Michigan

An abandoned vehicle title in Michigan can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it in Michigan, you must first report the abandoned vehicle to local Michigan Authorities to investigate and try to contact the owners. If the owners have not come forward within 60 days, you may file for a MI Title/and or Registration.

To see if the vehicle you're trying to claim falls under these guidelines, please contact the Michigan State Police Department, or check with the Michigan Secretary of State office in your area.